Microsoft Has Plans to Re-launch Failed Kin Phones with Verizon
The doomed Kin phones from Microsoft are actually going back to Verizon. They’re being re-packaged as a limited feature device which is targeted toward the young consumer.
The Kin One and Two are re-emerging on the Verizon list of upcoming phones, or their “roadmap” as the Kin One-m and Two-m. They’ll be launched and available during the holiday shopping season.
Both Verizon and Microsoft had no comment on the matter.
After a launch that was extremely high profile back last April there were less than 9,000 of the units sold before Microsoft made the decision to pull it in just 6 weeks. The Kin products, geared toward younger mobile users like teens and pre-teens, failed miserably mostly in part due to features that were quite underpowered and it faced much more competition from other smartphones that were much more powerful than they had expected.
In the re-launch though, Microsoft is planning on some device revamps through packaging them with data plans that are more cost efficient. There will also be internet accessibility through Wi-Fi connections in order to better target a younger consumer.
With the changes in price points and the data plans Verizon might possibly be able to realign the Kin and help it to reach the target market.
It seems as if it’s quite unlikely that new life can be breathed into a past, complete and total abject failure, however, if it is to succeed this is something that could help it along. Perhaps there can be a second life given to an ill-fated failure.
The success or failure is yet to be seen but we’ll definitely keep an eye on it. Nobody likes blasting Microsoft’s failures more than I do. I’ll suck it up and write a good review if it succeeds but I’m pretty sure with the market saturation of Android phones and the iPhone the new Kin phones are highly unlikely to make any sort of a significant impact.
- Launch Roundup of Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7
- Verizon Set To Launch First 4G Phone February 24th
- Microsoft Unveils Their New Windows Phones
- Verizon to Launch Droid 2 Global for $200
- Verizon, Motorola to Launch Droid Pro for Business Users
- Verizon to Launch Three New Smartphones for the Holidays
- LG to Launch Cheap Touch-Screen Phones through Verizon
- Windows Phone 7: Microsoft Preparing for an All out Marketing Blitz
- Should Microsoft Attempt to Purchase Nokia
- Microsoft to Reveal Windows Phone 7 on 10/11